One person was taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after a report of a fire at a Fitchburg child care center Monday morning.
Firefighters were called to La Petite Academy at 5574 Lacy Road at about 11:06 a.m. for a report of a furnace on fire, according to Dane County dispatch.
Firefighters said there was smoke coming from a faulty furnace when they arrived. There was no active fire.
A maintenance person on-scene was transported to a hospital for smoke inhalation, according to a statement from the city.
Madison Metro was asked to bring buses to the scene to help keep the kids warm. The children were taken to a nearby library where they were picked up by their guardians.
There were about 70 children at the center.
It is not clear when the center will reopen.
The Verona Fire Department, town of Madison Fire Department, FitchRona EMS and Madison Metro assisted at the scene.